Contemplating Governing Online Course Offered
What is it like to serve in local office?
Contemplating Governing is an introduction to serving in local government. This online program available starting July 27, will help individuals understand local government service and encourages responsible campaigning. Contemplating Governing is not political training. Instead, it focuses on the tasks and issues facing local government in the 21st century. This program provides citizens the chance to consider the opportunities, challenges, requirements and reasons to serve in local elected office. Topics include:
- Understanding the Pennsylvania local government environment, including powers and duties of various boards and commissions, such as city and borough councils, township commissioners or supervisors and school boards.
- Overcoming obstacles to running and meeting legal requirements.
- Determining what is a responsible campaign pledge.
- Understanding local government taxation and services.
- Measuring board effectiveness.
- Local government’s important role in community sustainability.
To learn more and to register for Contemplating Governing, go to LGAonline. Scroll down the course catalog to Contemplating Governing. Click the down arrow for more information or the shopping cart to register.