LGA Board of Directors & Staff
Local Government Academy Board of Directors
- Chairman – Art Tintori, Council Member, Green Tree Borough
- Vice Chairman – Mark Mansfield, Assistant Manager, Upper St. Clair Township
- Treasurer – Marcia Taylor
- Tim Bish, Shareholder, Babst Calland
- Charles Blocksidge, Ph.D.
- Nancy Carroll, Attorney, Diversified Municipal Services
- Stan Caldwell, Associate Director, Traffic 21, Carnegie Mellon University
- Kimberly Geyer, Confidential Administrative Assistant, Butler County Commissioners
- Court Gould, Executive Director, Sustainable Pittsburgh
- Richard Hadley, Executive Director, Allegheny League of Municipalities
- Brian Jensen, Senior Vice President, Pennsylvania Economy League
- Stanley Kabala, Ph.D., Professor, Duquesne University Center for Environmental Research & Education
- Brian Kennedy, Director, Government Relations, Pittsburgh Technology Council
- Bruce Kraus, Council Member, City of Pittsburgh
- Ken LaSota, Mayor, Heidelberg Borough
- An Lewis, Executive Director, Steel Valley Council of Governments
- Charles Martoni, Council Member, Allegheny County Council
- Rebecca Matsco, Supervisor, Potter Township
- Michael McCaig, Managing Director, Public Finance, Janney, Montgomery, Scott
- Vanessa McCarthy-Johnson, Council Member, Wilkinsburg Borough
- David Miller, Ph.D., Director, Center for Metropolitan Studies, University of Pittsburgh
- Ruthann Omer, P.E., The Gateway Engineers
- Barbara Parees, Deputy Manager, Allegheny County
- William Roland, Government Relations Specialist, People’s Natural Gas
- John Schombert, Executive Director, 3 Rivers Wet Weather
- Preston W. Shimer, League of Women Voters
- Deborah Simmons, Senior Project Manager, Department of Community & Economic Development
- April Weitzel, Council Member, Crafton Borough
Susan G. Hockenberry – Executive Director
Susan is the Executive Director of Local Government Academy (LGA), a role she has held since 2002. Prior to assuming her duties at the Academy, Susan was the Director of Administration and Finance for the Township of O’Hara, a home rule municipality located in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh. Susan serves on the Board of Directors of the Government Finance Officers of Western Pennsylvania and has served on Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Board of Directors. She is a member of the Pennsylvania State Planning Board and served on the 2015 Governor’s Taskforce on Municipal Pension Reform. In addition to instructing for LGA, she has taught State & Local Government and Public Sector Financial Management at Indiana University of PA and the University of Pittsburgh. She is a graduate of Leadership Pittsburgh XXI, and completed the Executive Program for Nonprofit Leaders at Stanford University. Susan has a B.A. in Political Science, a Masters degree in Public Administration.
Justin Philman – Database and LMS Administrator
Justin Philman is a 2015 graduate of Community College of Allegheny County’s Information Technology Support Program. He joined LGA in August 2015. While pursuing his Associate’s Degree at CCAC, Justin attended numerous distance learning classes and developed a passion for online learning. He is a former Air National Guardsman with a specialty in video production and documentation. Justin also has many years of music production experience and has helped cultivate the sound of numerous recording artists in southwestern Pennsylvania.
Sarah Godfrey – Administrative Assistant
Sarah Godfrey is the Local Government Academy Administrative Assistant. Previously Sarah worked in legal administration while studying Illustration and Design at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, California. At LGA, Sarah handles incoming leads and registrations as well as the layout of the e-newsletter and social media. Relocated from southern California, Sarah enjoys the Pittsburgh area’s green and leafy environment as well as the friendliness of the people she is meeting. Sarah completed her first 5K in July 2016 and is looking forward to more.
Yunzhi Zheng – Programming Intern
Yunzhi Zheng is a Masters of Science candidate at Carnegie Mellon University-Heinz College where she is studying Public Policy Management. At LGA she is developing online and in-person courses in finance and public works. She is also helping administer the 2016 Municipal Internship program and is editor for this year’s video. Prior to attending CMU, Yunzhi was a student at Ohio State University where she obtained a dual diploma in International Studies and Japanese, graduating Cum Laude. At Shanghai International Studies University where she obrained a BA in Japanese Language and Literature, she was Chief Editor of the Student Affairs magazine. Yunzhi is enjoying Pittsburgh and its central location for her many road trips exploring the US.
Donna Bour – Fundraising and Event Management
Donna Bour began her career in fundraising, sponsorship, and event management over 30 years ago as a development professional writing foundation and government grants and corporate sponsorship proposals, creating and implementing individual giving campaigns, and organizing special fundraising events. In May of 2001 she launched Bour Associates and, since that time, has coordinated and managed several annual, recurring events as well as multiple one-time events. Ms. Bour earned a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master’s degree in Public Management from Carnegie Mellon University. In addition to her event and meeting planning work, Ms. Bour continues to serve as a consultant to local nonprofits on fundraising and development programs and completed a “how to” manual on festival planning and management. She serves on the Boards of the Environmental Charter School Foundation; Run Around the Square; and for eight years chaired Neighbors Unite Wilkinsburg, a local political action committee dedicated to improving local government.
Gary Schwager – Development Specialist
Gary Schwager began working with LGA in March of 2016. Prior to joining LGA, Gary was a Vice President at BNY Mellon, where he had worked for 24 years and held investment analytics consulting, relationship management, marketing and private equity portfolio management responsibilities. He has been an active member of the community, serving on various nonprofit boards of directors and investment committees over the years. Gary has a BS in Marketing and a BA in Liberal Arts from Penn State and received his MBA from Carnegie Mellon University. Gary is also a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).