Managing Marcellus: Understanding Pipelines-What Local Governments and Planners Need to Know
Washington & Jefferson College
Burnett Center (Yost Auditorium)
292 E Wheeling St.
Washington, PA 15301 (map)
Register now! $50 for the 4 session course (scholarships are available).
Pipeline development has the potential to be the most lasting impact incurred by local communities experiencing unconventional gas development. In this series, Local Government Academy and Center for Energy Policy and Management at Washington and Jefferson College present a detailed consideration of what local governments and planners need to know.
“Understanding Pipelines” kicks off September 29, 2016 at the Yost Auditorium on the campus of Washington and Jefferson College. At that in-person program, participants will build their understanding of pipelines from a systems point of view. What are pipelines and why do we need them? How do the pipelines in Pennsylvania fit in the the larger national and even international network?
This session will be followed by a series of webinars designed to build off of the introductory program.
- October 14, 2016, 12:00 – 1:00PM Webinar – “Pipeline Safety and Quantifying Risk”
- Are Pipelines Safe?
- Who oversees the safety of pipelines? Fed/State/Local roles
- Emergency Responders – Best Practices and lessons learned from recent examples such as Salem Township
- October 21, 2016, 12:00 – 1:00PM Webinar – “Benefiting Your Community: What to Expect and What to Request in the Process of Pipeline Development
- Land use and future development implications
- Development Considerations – local ordinances, SALDO, zoning
- Community Engagement
- October 28, 12:00 – 1:00PM Webinar – “Shedding Light on the Pipeline Development Process”
- What is the Regulatory Framework that reviews/permits/supervises pipelines? What factors do they consider, such as cultural and historic resources and endangered species?
- How are pipelines designed, routed and maintained?
- How do pipelines impact the environment?
Click here to access LGA’s Course Catalog. Add “Managing Marcellus: Understanding Pipelines – What Local Governments and Planners Need to Know” to your shopping cart.
Scholarships and discounts are available to communities on this list . If your community is eligible, contact Justin Philman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-586-5659 for the coupon code to use during checkout.