Operating a professional police department is among the most important, highly valued and costly services provided by local governments. With costs and demands for services increasing each year, and municipalities facing strains on revenues, many elected and appointed officials in southwestern PA communities are facing questions about the sustainability of the status quo. Over four evenings this spring, LGA will examine professional police operations and also regional policing.
This upcoming four-part program will:
- Provide an overview of the legal framework in which police departments work in PA.
- Present a comprehensive overview of the elements that define a professional police department.
- Help participants know which questions to ask to guage the professionalism and effectiveness of the current services.
- Explore intergovernmental options for professional police departments.
Attendees to this program will learn:
- Importance of developing a professional hiring process.
- Laws that affect the hiring of police officers and the role of elected officials in this process.
- Organization, structure and costs associated with a police department.
- Measuring the effectiveness of current policies and procedures.
- Collective bargaining, discipline and discharge, Heart & Lung Act and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Options for intergovernmental police services, including contract services and regional police departments.
All programs will be held from 6PM to 9PM @ the Carnegie Borough Building the following dates.
- Wednesday, May 18, 2016
- Thursday, May 26, 2016
- Thursday, June 2, 2016
- Thursday, June 9, 2016
This course is structured as a 4 part program, with the final session on Regional Policing (see below for description). Two registration options exist:
- $95 for the 4 part series.
- $35 for the 4th program only (See “Regional Policing” below).
To register, visit LGA Online and scroll to the course titled “Professional Police Operations”.
Scholarships and discounts are available to communities on this list. If your community is eligible, contact Justin Philman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-586-5659 for the coupon code to use during checkout.
Is a regional police force in your community’s future? Police protection is among the most important, highly valued, and costly services provided by local governments. As such, understanding your community’s intergovernmental options is an important part of governing at the local level. The typical place organization model may not be the only way to provide public safety while dealing with the increased pressure on public resources.
Register for this program to learn about Regional Policing from communities and managers who have developed this service. Focused on the nuts and bolts of the process, this program will delve into the practice of regional policing from the perspective of the elected official, the citizens and the public employees.
This session will provide:
-Cooperative police options – regional forces and police contracting
Local examples and case studies
Attend this session to consider cooperative ways to provide police services that are not only fiscally responsible and effective, but also afford police a chance to be in a safe organization that provides the necessary resources to get the job done.
To register, visit LGA Online and scroll to the course titled “Regional Policing”.