Professional Police Operations
Carnegie Borough Municipal Building
One Veterans Way, Carnegie, PA (map)
Register now! $95 for the 4 session course (scholarships are available).
Operating a professional police department is among the most important, highly valued and costly services provided by local governments. With costs and demands for services increasing each year, and municipalities facing strains on revenues, many elected and appointed officials in southwestern PA communities are facing questions about the sustainability of the status quo.
In this environment it is important to evaluate financial and service delivery options. What are the standards for a professional police department and how do local officials evaluate the services they currently provide?
This upcoming four-part “Professional Police Operations” program will:
- Provide an overview of the legal framework in which police departments work in PA
- Present a comprehensive overview of the elements that define a professional police department
- Examine best practices in police-community relations and steps to developing a department program
- Help participants know which questions to ask to gauge the professionalism and effectiveness of the current services
- Explore intergovernmental options for professional police departments.
Attendees to this program will learn:
- Importance of developing a professional hiring process
- Laws that affect the hiring of police officers and the role of elected officials in this process
- Organization, structure and costs associated with a police department
- Measuring the effectiveness of current policies and procedures
- Collective bargaining, discipline and discharge, Heart & Lung Act and the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Options for intergovernmental police services, including contract services and regional police departments
Instructors for this program include:
Commander Eric Holmes, City of Pittsburgh Police
Chief Harry Fruecht, Peters Township Police Dept.
Chris Gabriel, Campbell, Durrant, Beatty, Palombo & Miller
David Mitchell, Campbell, Durrant, Beatty, Palombo & Miller
Bill Gamble, Bill Gamble Consulting & Police Testing Services
Chief John Hartman, Southwest Regional Police Dept.
Chief Norbert Miklos, Ohio Township Police Dept.
Herbert Hartle, Supervisor, Ohio Township
Tom Beatty, Supervisor, Ohio Township
Ron Stern, PA DCED, Governor’s Center for Local Government Services
Click here to access LGA’s Course Catalog. Add “Professional Police Operations” to your shopping cart.
Scholarships and discounts are available to communities on this list . If your community is eligible, contact Justin Philman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-586-5659 for the coupon code to use during checkout.