The Newly Elected Officials Course, or NEOC, offers a comprehensive overview of the duties of municipal officials, taught by experts in their fields. More than 1,000 individuals have attended the Newly Elected Officials Course in over 30 years.
This interactive virtual course brings to you the understanding of the powers and duties of local elected and nonelected officials as set out by state and federal statutes and regulations.
Local Government Academy:
an independent non-partisan organization, promotes excellence in local government.
We support and promote a strong and responsive local government system, develop effective local leaders Educate public officials, public employees and citizens, and build collaborations and partnerships.
What We Do:
Each year, Local Government Academy offers approximately 30 educational programs, including day and evening classroom-style programs, roundtable discussions and webinars.
What's Happening Now:
- Greg Butler is the new Executive Director of Local Government Academy
- Hired as Executive Director of Local Government Academy in May 2017, Greg brings 16 years of campus-level and online educational administration experience. Greg has held multiple student support...
- Urban Agriculture Webinar
- Community Development with Urban Agriculture – Release of Model Ordinance Wednesday, August 9 1:00 pm to 2:15 pm Click here to register FREE Urban agriculture is increasingly recognized as a...
- Sustainable Restaurants Webinar
- Sustainable Pittsburgh Restaurants: Fostering Community, Health, and Prosperity Wednesday, August 16 1:00 pm Click here to register FREE Join the Sustainable Community Development Network...
- Farmers Market Webinar
- ARCHIVED WEBINAR: Improve Access to Healthy Food and Create a Better Sense of Place with a Well Managed Farmers Market Click here to register FREE Farmers markets have historically played a...
- CMU’s Traffic21 Announces Smart Mobility Challenge
- Municipal leaders in southwestern Pennsylvania have an opportunity to apply for Carnegie Mellon University’s Traffic21 Institute Smart Mobility Challenge. Up to $300,000 in awards are...
- Feature: The River Towns
- Pittsburgh often places high on the lists of the nation’s most livable cities, and, more recently, worldwide. It wasn’t always that way. The heart of the city was born of steel, seeing...
- Sustainable Small Business Webinar
- ARCHIVED WEBINAR: Empowering Small Businesses: Sustainable Small Business Designation Click here to register FREE Join Kaity Baril of Sustainable Pittsburgh and the Local Government Academy in...
Between 2010 and 2015, more than 5,000 individuals representing 500 unique municipalities and organizations in 14 Pennsylvania counties attended programs offered by Local Government Academy
Participants from local governments have a tremendous impact on the communities they serve:
Local Government Academy Thanks the 2017 Advocates for Good Government: