The Newly Elected Officials Course, or NEOC, offers a comprehensive overview of the duties of municipal officials, taught by experts in their fields. More than 1,000 individuals have attended the Newly Elected Officials Course in over 30 years.
“Complete Streets” is the simple idea that our streets and sidewalks should be accessible to all residents, regardless of their age or how they get around. Communities benefit when they pass Complete Streets policies — discover how.
This interactive virtual course brings to you the understanding of the powers and duties of local elected and nonelected officials as set out by state and federal statutes and regulations.
Local Government Academy:
an independent non-partisan organization, promotes excellence in local government.
We support and promote a strong and responsive local government system, develop effective local leaders Educate public officials, public employees and citizens, and build collaborations and partnerships.
What We Do:
Each year, Local Government Academy offers approximately 30 educational programs, including day and evening classroom-style programs, roundtable discussions and webinars.
What's Happening Now:
- Sustainable Pittsburgh Challenge Webinar
- Compete, Save, and Win with the Sustainable Pittsburgh Challenge Attention: Municipalities, local governments, community/economic development corporations and authorities Are you seeking ways...
- Complete Streets Workshop 2017
- CONNECT - Complete Streets Workshop, 2017 Over 80 attendees joined CONNECT and partners to learn more about Complete Streets policies! Session topics included Complete Streets basics and...
- NEOC Refreshment Break Sponsorships
- Support Good Government and the efforts of the Newly Elected Officials Course participants! Pick an NEOC session and sponsor the Refreshment Break (Saturday sessions have two breaks to sponsor,...
- Complete Streets Webinar
- Webinar: Taking Back the Streets to Promote Health and Public Safety "Complete Streets" is the simple idea that our streets and sidewalks should be accessible to all residents, regardless of...
- Handling Employment Investigations
- Webinar: Handling Employment Investigations From time to time, municipalities face the challenge of investigating the misconduct of an employee. Mistakes happen when employers aren’t trained to...
- Managing Marcellus 2017 Update
- Regulating and Planning for Shale Gas Development: a 2017 Update The development of shale gas in southwestern Pennsylvania has had an impact with the promise of new, diversified income to...
- Imagine Transportation 2.0
- The Path to a Better Transportation Future Outcomes from the Imagine Transportation 2.0 Visioning Process and New Ideas for Transportation Planning and Investment In Our Communities The...
Between 2010 and 2015, more than 5,000 individuals representing 500 unique municipalities and organizations in 14 Pennsylvania counties attended programs offered by Local Government Academy
Participants from local governments have a tremendous impact on the communities they serve:
Local Government Academy Thanks the 2017 Advocates for Good Government: