NEOC Alumni Association
Open to all graduates of the Newly Elected Officials Course, the Alumni Association is an organization formed by NEOC graduates to encourage on-going professional and social interaction among local government officials for the benefit of their communities and the southwestern Pennsylvania region.
If you have received an invitation to join or a renewal letter for the NEOC Alumni Association, please click here to complete your membership.
The objectives of the Alumni Association are:
- To create an open, non-partisan forum to discuss relevant legislative and policy issues facing local governments in order to encourage their local governing boards to be proactive on issues of local and regional importance
- To engage the Alumni in a responsible role in LGA operations by asking them to serve on one of three committees:
- Leadership – Assisting with the Alumni Association membership campaign and developing the mentor program
- Scholarship – Reviewing merit-based applications for the Newly Elected Officials Course and assisting with fundraising campaigns for the Michael P. Lynch Scholarship Fund
- Programming – Serving on the Program Planning Committee, developing the bi-annual Alumni Confabs and spreading the word of LGA programs to others
- To provide informal opportunities for officials to network, collaborate, share ideas and develop friendships
Programs of the Alumni Association
The NEOC Alumni Association has developed and held several programs throughout its history, including:
- NEOC Alumni Confab – This bi-annual coffee-and-conversation event began in 2011 as a way for graduates of the Newly Elected Officials Course to stay connected and to have a forum to discuss challenges they are facing as local elected officials
- Mentor Program – Graduates of the Newly Elected Officials Course are paired with an experience elected officials who have also completed NEOC to assist them through the transition to elected office.
- Invitation-Only Programs – The Alumni Association has held several events geared towards the unique and specific needs of graduates. These have included behind-the-scenes tours, educational programs and special events.
Alumni Association Membership Benefits
The $25 annual membership fee for the Alumni Association entitles members to:
- $10 discount on the registration fee for any Academy program – no limit!
- Invitations to special programs and events offered only to NEOC Alumni.
- “Bring a Friend” – invite a fellow council member to attend an LGA program with you and their registration is free.
- Technical assistance on municipal questions by Academy staff, board members and other experts.
- Continued access to the site for your NEOC class, where discussions can continue and supplemental materials will be posted.
- The Alumni Response, the alumni newsletter featuring a message from the Chairperson, listings of Academy programs and news about NEOC graduates.