2017 Contemplating Governing
Contemplating Governing is an introduction to serving in local government. These sessions will help individuals decide if local government service is right for them and encourage responsible campaigning.
The 2017 Municipal Intern Program is Underway
Each year, the Local Government Academy brings students and potential employers together at the Municipal Internship Fair.
The Annual Promoting Good Government Golf Outing
Join the Local Government Academy on May 11th for a day of great golf! The outing benefits the Michael P. Lynch Scholarship Fund, helping municipal officials and employees from financially distressed communities.
The Pennsylvania Conservation Explorer Tool Explained
This presentation will introduce participants to the Pennsylvania Natural Heritage Program (PNHP) and the award-winning Pennsylvania Conservation Explorer, an online tool for conservation planning and PNDI environmental review.
The Role of the Planning Commission in Assuring Community Vitality
This online course covers everything from the role of the planning commissioner to reviewing development plans along with the “big picture” for your community, to ethical implications. Additional details about this online course available in the catalog.
Fraud Overview & Prevention
Local governments experiencing fraud face loss of assets, fiscal position and public trust. External audits do not protect against fraud, as such local government officials need to know how to spot and combat fraud. Find out how in this half hour video.
Paid internships provide students who are considering a career in government an opportunity for real world experience. Local governments have also found that internships are a great way to get projects completed by enthusiastic students anxious to show what they can do.
Local Government Academy:
an independent non-partisan organization, promotes excellence in local government.
We support and promote a strong and responsive local government system, develop effective local leaders Educate public officials, public employees and citizens, and build collaborations and partnerships.
What We Do:
Each year, Local Government Academy offers approximately 30 educational programs, including day and evening classroom-style programs, roundtable discussions and webinars.
What's Happening Now:
- 2017 Contemplating Governing
- Session 1 of Contemplating Governing: "Tackling Candidate Red Tape" online course is now available. The purpose of this session is to educate candidates on the important deadlines and...
- Actualizing Community Initiatives – Crowdfunding via ioby (In Our Backyards)
- ARCHIVED WEBINAR: Actualizing Community Initiatives - Crowdfunding via ioby (In Our Backyards) Register here FREE (A Sustainable Development Academy program presented by the Local Government...
- The 2017 Municipal Intern Program is Underway!
- Students can click here to register. Municipalities, COGs and Authorities can click here to submit a project application. Paid internships provide students who are considering a career in...
- Powers and Duties of Local Officials
- The public meeting of any local government is where the rubber meets the road. This is where rules are enacted, money is authorized to be spent, developers are given the go ahead for a project...
- Managing Marcellus: Understanding Pipelines-What Local Governments and Planners Need to Know
- In-person Session: Thursday September 29, 2016 6PM to 8:30PM Washington & Jefferson College Burnett Center (Yost Auditorium) 292 E Wheeling St. Washington, PA 15301 (map) Register...
- PA Conservation Explorer Tool
- Click here to register for this archived webinar, recorded July 27, 2016. This presentation will introduce participants to the Pennsylvania Natural Heritage Program (PNHP) and the award-winning...
- Act Now to Share Your Transportation Needs
- Transportation is an issue that affects all of our communities. That is why Local Government Academy is partnering with the Regional Transportation Alliance of SWPA, a new public-private effort to...
LGA Job Network
Between 2010 and 2015, more than 5,000 individuals representing 500 unique municipalities and organizations in 14 Pennsylvania counties attended programs offered by Local Government Academy
Participants from local governments have a tremendous impact on the communities they serve:
in public spending
1,500 Square Miles
Local Government Academy Thanks the 2017 Advocates for Good Government: