This interactive virtual course brings to you the understanding of the powers and duties of local elected and nonelected officials as set out by state and federal statutes and regulations.
The Newly Elected Officials Course or NEOC, offers a comprehensive overview of the duties of municipal officials, taught by experts in their fields. More than 1,000 individuals have attended the Newly Elected Officials Course in its more than 30 years of existence.
Local Government Academy:
an independent non-partisan organization, promotes excellence in local government.
We support and promote a strong and responsive local government system, develop effective local leaders, educate public officials, public employees and citizens, and build collaborations and partnerships.
What We Do:
Each year, Local Government Academy offers approximately 30 educational programs, including day and evening classroom-style programs, roundtable discussions and webinars.
What's Happening Now:
- Using TDR’s to Generate Revenue from Dedicated Green Space and Other Undeveloped Land Uses/Types
- ARCHIVED WEBINAR: Using TDR’s to Generate Revenue from Dedicated Green Space and Other Undeveloped Land Uses/Types Click here to register FREE Contact: Jim Price...
- Managing Marcellus: Industry Trends and Regulatory Updates
- ARCHIVED WEBINAR: Managing Marcellus: Industry Trends and Regulatory Updates Free, click here to register. (A Managing Marcellus program presented by the Local Government Academy and Washington...
- 2017 Selected Municipal Intern Projects
- Local Government Academy is pleased to announce the 2017 Municipal Intern Program projects. Click here to download a PDF with the full project descriptions. Students interested in these projects...
- Actualizing Community Initiatives – Crowdfunding via ioby (In Our Backyards)
- ARCHIVED WEBINAR: Actualizing Community Initiatives - Crowdfunding via ioby (In Our Backyards) Register here FREE (A Sustainable Development Academy program presented by the Local Government...
- The 2017 Municipal Intern Program is Underway!
- Students can click here to register. Municipalities, COGs and Authorities can click here to submit a project application. Paid internships provide students who are considering a career in...
- Powers and Duties of Local Officials
- The public meeting of any local government is where the rubber meets the road. This is where rules are enacted, money is authorized to be spent, developers are given the go ahead for a project...
- Managing Marcellus: Understanding Pipelines-What Local Governments and Planners Need to Know
- In-person Session: Thursday September 29, 2016 6PM to 8:30PM Washington & Jefferson College Burnett Center (Yost Auditorium) 292 E Wheeling St. Washington, PA 15301 (map) Register...
LGA Job Network
Between 2010 and 2015, more than 5,000 individuals representing 500 unique municipalities and organizations in 14 Pennsylvania counties attended programs offered by Local Government Academy
Participants from local governments have a tremendous impact on the communities they serve:
in public spending
1,500 Square Miles
Local Government Academy Thanks the 2017 Advocates for Good Government: